Sunday 5 August 2018

LoRat - remote trap monitoring. Part 2 - a (brief) successful field test

A brief followup to part 1. I did a preliminary field test over the weekend in our back yard. Since I have not caught a rat for a while I adapted it for mouse trap simply by rubber banding a mouse trap to the rat trap. On Saturday night, while on vacation in Wanaka, I was pleased to get this email:





Then when I got back on Sunday evening I found there was indeed a mouse in the trap:




It rained a couple of times and there was some wind over the weekend but there were no false alarms, the sensor seems to be still in good order. So far it is proving reasonably robust and it was great to see it adaptable to different trap types. So I'll leave it out for another few days before trying to find a more remote site to test it on rats.

Work is still underway on the PCB and figuring out a smaller and cheaper enclosure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Proton Precession Magnetometer - Part 1: Overview and Polarisation Coil

 A Proton Precession Magnetometer - Part 1: Overview and Polarisation Coil For some time now I've wanted to add a magnetometer to my wea...